We thought that TVMama was going to be about devices like AppleTV and USBTV, but the more we think about it, the more we think we also need to keep an eye on TiVo and other set-top boxes, especially in the wake of the July 1 FCC ruling that opens most cable systems to any box maker, and permits users to take a “set-top” card from their cable supplier to insert into their box or next-gen TV.
- Display programs from most any cable company;
- Provide a TiVo-like digital video recorder with expandable storage space that can tape two high-def shows while you watch another;
- Fetch local news and weather;
- Move shows from one television to another;
- Call up photos, videos and music from your computer to your television.
Does that last one sound familiar?