While they are frequently thought of as magic gadgets used only by the classy godfathers and godmothers of the fashion industry, the best clothes steamers can be just as helpful on the go or at home. But first, you need to have the best steamer in order to use it. So, let me teach you how to choose one.
- Types of Clothes Steamers
Clothes steamers come in different brands, designs, and shapes. However, based on size and ordinary use, there are 3 main types of steamers: handheld steamers, travel steamers, and standing steamers.
- A standing clothes steamer – It consists of a base that rests on the floor or a water well, a nozzle at the end, and a long tube. It also comes with a long rod where the clothes are suspended so they can remain stretched out and make it easier to work on them. It also has a special motor that heats the water and changes it into steam.
- A travel steamer – It smaller than a standing steamer and fits well into an overnight bag or suitcase. Its nozzle is directly installed to the water well and has a handle. The steam is released from the frame to the nozzle – no tube.
- A handheld steamer – It is similar in design to a travel steamer but has a larger water well and stronger mechanism, making it as effective as a standing model.
- Features of the best garment steamers
The best steamer should have the following qualities:
- A good reach – it should have a long power cord and/or a long hose to reach higher surfaces without the need to use a step stool (however, you might require an extension cord).
- Good water capacity –it should have a huge reservoir, thus more hours of continuous steam.
- Automatic shut-off – this feature shuts the steamer off before any fuse or motor burnout can occur when the steamer runs dry.
- Wheels – a full-sized steamer can weigh about 20 pounds; wheels make it simpler to move it from place to place.
- Racks or clips and hangers – they enable the user to have complete access to all sides of a cloth and keep the task near the steamer.
- A removable water reservoir – makes the steamer easier to clean and fill.
- Things to Know When Buying a Steamer
When choosing your clothes steamer, you need to ask and answer the following questions:
- How often do you intend to use your gadget? A small steamer or handheld steamer is sufficient for occasional use while a large one is ideal for a lot of steaming is done.
- What types of material do you intend to steam? A handheld steamer is perfect for light and delicate material while a full-sized steamer is ideal for thick and heavy material.
- Do you intend to carry it when traveling? A travel steamer is perfect.
- Will you carry your clothes steamer abroad? You will require a dual voltage clothes steamer or one with a dedicated converter.
In addition, ensure that you feel comfortable when using your steamer. It shouldn’t be too heavy or too light; just right.